The Australian Renderer's Association Inc (ARA) is committed to protecting the privacy of our members and the confidentiality of personal information provided to us. We endorse the Australian Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and have adopted them in our management of personal information.
This policy sets out how we collect and use personal information that is provided to us and specifically deals with:
- Collection of personal information
- Use and disclosure of personal information
- Updating personal information
- The right to check personal information held by ARA
- Confidentiality and security of personal information
- Contact and complaints
We may update or change this policy to take into account changes to operations and practices and to ensure that the policy remains appropriate and relevant and complies with legislated privacy principles. When we do so, we will publish the current policy on our website. Please check our website to review this policy regularly.
1. Collection of personal information
- information including name, address, telephone, email and facsimile contact details from members and non-members on membership applications, membership renewal forms, newsletter subscriptions and event registrations;
- information from browsers when you visit our website such as your server address, domain name, date and time of your visit, the pages visited, the page you came from, the type of browser, and selected information for statistical purposes;
- information when you contact us in person or via the telephone, send us a fax or email or attend our functions, conferences, workshops, or seminars;
- financial information about individuals purchasing ARA products and services. This includes credit card details and/or bank account details;
- information on non-members from a wide range of personal contacts and referrals; and
- personal information when you request services from us or register for workshops, seminars, conferences or other ARA events.
If you send us an email, that address will be recorded automatically by our email system for the purpose of replying to your email. However for normal communication with you, we will use the email address you provide in your membership application/renewal, unless you request us to use a different email address.
In accordance with our email policy, any emails you send will be automatically scanned which may result in your email or attachments being blocked. Our IT administrators may have access to your emails to authorise the content for security purposes only and not thereafter.
We collect personal information if you enter any personal information into the website, complete a membership form, attend an event, complete a survey or supply personal details through any form of correspondence in order to receive information.
2. Use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information collected by us is essential to our organisational activities, and we maintain and use personal information in written and/or electronic form in order to provide you with information, products and services that will be of industry benefit.
- performing our role as a industry body, including the provision of membership services, and compilation of member statistics;
- managing membership and membership renewals;
- fulfilling subscription requests and member services;
- registrations for events;
- assessing eligibility for Full or Associate membership;
- delivering functions, conferences, workshops or seminars;
- supporting ARA committees and working groups;
- notifying ARA members via regular mail or email, about important industry news, including products, services and announcements; and
- supporting peer-to-peer networking.
We may disclose personal information that we collect about members or non-members to organisations that perform services on our behalf in connection with maintaining or servicing our membership or processing requests for products or services, including event managers, sponsors, news aggregators, news providers and researchers.
We do not share or sell membership information or personal information acquired from members.
We provide a Membership Directory online to facilitate your commercial activities. The accuracy of information appearing in the Directory relies entirely upon members advising of any changes to their contact information.
The Membership Directory is available to the public to assist your commercial activities.
We collect and maintain personal information about non-members for the purpose of providing information about membership, services and products. We maintain and use this information in written and/or electronic form.
If we are advised that a non-member does not want us to provide them with information about membership, services and products, we will comply with their request.
3. Updating personal information
We endeavour to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You may update your personal information held by us directly online or by contacting us.
You may opt out of any further contact from us at any time. However, it may then not be possible for us to provide you with some or all of ARA’s services and products.
4. The right to check personal information held by ARA
In accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles, you have the right to access any personal information which we hold about you, and to ask us to correct any errors or delete such information.
To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, we may require evidence of your identity before we can give you access to information about you or change it. We may deny your access where exempted by law, or if your request is frivolous or vexatious.
5. Confidentiality and security of personal information
All our data is stored in written and/or electronic form and we maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information. We restrict access to personal information about members and non-members to those employees and third party providers who need to know that information to deliver our products and services efficiently and effectively. We are committed to ensuring that any personal information you provide to us remains confidential and secure.
We will destroy or permanently de-identify your information when it is no longer needed for the purpose for which we collected it, or when we are required by law to do so.
6. Contact and complaints
We will acknowledge receipt of any complaint within five business days and will endeavour to provide you with a written response within 28 days of receipt of your written query. There may be instances where this is not possible due to the contents of the complaint. In such circumstances, we will respond to your complaint in a reasonable and practical time. You may wish to contact the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 if you are not satisfied with the outcome.
We are unable to assist you with a privacy complaint involving another ARA member. If you have a privacy complaint about another member, you should take up your complaint directly with the member concerned.
For information on privacy and the Privacy Act (including the Australian Privacy Principles), refer to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website: www.oaic.gov.au.